The Transilvania International Film Festival (July 31 – August 9, 2020) is reconfigured to prioritize public health, safety, and social distancing by doing exclusively outdoor screenings in over 10 locations in Cluj. Safety measures will be mandatory for all TIFF crew, guests, and audience members and will be posted prominently in all locations.
TIFF’s 19th edition opens Friday, July 31, in the Unirii Square outdoor cinema with La Belle Époque, a French comedy featuring Daniel Auteuil, Guillaume Canet, and Fanny Ardant. Tickets sold out on the first day they went on sale, so two parallel locations were added, for which tickets will go on sale soon. The over 130 titles selected by Artistic Director Mihai Chirilov will screen for 10 days starting mostly at 9:30PM, with the exception of a few locations where they will start at 7PM. The EducaTIFF screenings for children will take place in the courtyard of the Art Museum at 10 AM.
TIFF’s traditional five outdoor locations — the Unirii Square, the Bánffy castle in Bonțida, the Arkhai Sculpture Park in Vlaha, the Cluj Art Museum and the Iulius Park Open Ai — will be joined by new ones, specially outfitted for this year’s festival.
TIFF 2020 locations:
- UNIRII SQUARE OPEN AIR
- ART MUSEUM, Unirii Square 30
- BÁTHORY, Courtyard of the Báthory István High School, Mihail Kogălniceanu 2
- COȘBUC, Courtyard of the George Coșbuc High School, Avram Iancu 70-72
- APÁCZAI, Courtyard of the Apáczai Csere János High School, Ion I. C. Brătianu 26
- UNITARIAN BISHOPIC, Courtyard of the János Zsigmond High School, Boulevard 21 Decembrie 1989 9
- UBB, Babeș-Bolyai University, Mihail Kogălniceanu street, nr. 1
- USAMV, Agricultural Sciences and Veterinary Medicine University, Calea Mănăștur 3-5
- IULIUS PARK OPEN AIR, Alexandu Vaida Voevod 53 B
- TRANSILVANIA BASE, Boulevard 1 Decembrie 1918 41
- ECHINOX, Universității street, 7-9
- HOIA, Ethnographic Museum Alley
- VLAHA, Arkhai Sculpture Park
- BONȚIDA, Bánffy Castle
Access to locations. Each screening location will have prominently marked entry and exit routes, with TIFF crew members guiding the flow. At each entry point tickets will be scanned, an observational triage point will be set up, and temperature will be checked with a contactless device. Those whose temperature exceeds 37.3°C and/or those who exhibit symptoms of respiratory infection (coughing, sneezing, rhinorrhea), as well as those who refuse to have their temperature checked will be denied entry. Mask wearing and 1.5 meters distancing are mandatory throughout each events. Seats will be set up for one or two persons watching together and will be disinfected following each screening. Detailed regulations will be published on tiff.ro and prominently posted in each location.